Certificate of Merit
To Parents and Students,
The Music Teachers’ Association of California (MTAC) sponsors a music study program entitled Certificate of Merit (CM). Initiated in 1933, the CM Program now involves approximately 30,000 students annually statewide. There are evaluation opportunities for students of Piano, Violin, Cello, Viola, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Saxophone, Bassoon, Baritone/Euphonium Horn, Voice and Harp.
Goals of Certificate of Merit:
- To provide a systematic and comprehensive plan to develop performance skill, technique, ear training, sight reading/singing and understanding of music theory.
- To develop practical goals to help students maintain a steady and focused approach to their musical studies.
- To encourage students to strive for musical excellence.
- To create opportunities in which students may share their music with others.
How the CM Program Works:
- A detailed CM Syllabus has been created and designed for each of the above-mentioned instruments. There are specific set requirements for each of the eleven CM levels. Your child’s teacher will decide on the level that is appropriate.
- Student Registration takes place from September 15 through November 15. Your child’s teacher will register your child through our secure online registration system. Students must be age 5 or older as of November 15 (the CM Registration Deadline) to participate in the CM Program.
- Students work with their teachers on selected literature, technique elements, sight reading, theory and ear training for their enrolled level.
- Registered students participate in an annual Evaluation program, which is conducted from mid-February through April throughout the state of California..
- Based on the Evaluation, students receive a written musical performance assessment.
- Students will also complete a written theory exam, which includes an ear training component.
- Upon successful completion of all components of the Evaluation, students receive an official MTAC CM Certificate.
- Senior medallions will be awarded to eligible high school seniors.
- Students who demonstrate exceptional skill at his/her Evaluation may be selected to perform at annual MTAC State Convention Recitals.
Your child(ren) will benefit tremendously from this wonderful educational opportunity and experience. Please consult with your child’s teacher for more information regarding registration and preparation.
The Certificate of Merit Syllabi are published by The Music Teachers' Association of California and are available for purchase exclusively through the MTAC State Office. To place an order for a Syllabus, if you are not an MTAC member, go to our Online Shopping Page. If you are an MTAC member, log in, and go to the Shopping -> MTAC Store page. You can also order with a credit card by calling 1-800-834-3340 extension 1 (24 hour automated service) or send check payment to: MTAC, 833 Market Street, Suite 900, San Francisco, CA 94103.
Syllabi for other instruments and additional Certificate of Merit publications are also available through the MTAC State Office.
2012-2013 Certificate of Merit Council Roster:
- State Chair Coordinator,
- Assistant Coordinator,
- Public Relations, Recording Secretary,
- Information Chair, Training Liaison, *CCSR,
- Test Materials & Publications Chair, Database Liaison, *CCSR,
- Piano Evaluator Chair North: Training and Recruiting, Branch Chair Liaison,
- Piano Evaluator Chair South: Training and Recruiting, Branch Chair Liaison, *CCSR,
- Piano Evaluator Chair North: Scheduling,
- Piano Evaluator Chair South: Scheduling, *CCSR,
- Strings Chair North,
- Strings Chair South,
- Voice Chair North / South,
- Wind Chair North / South,
- Piano Panel Chair North,
- Piano Panel Chair South,
- Piano Regional Panel Chair South, *CCSR,
- String Panel Chair South,
- Young Artist Guild Chair,
- Convention Festival Recital Chair,
- Convention New Materials Recital Chair, *CCSR,
- Convention Ensemble/Theme Recital Chair,
*CM Chair Computer Support Representative:
- Branch names from Alameda — Conejo Valley:
- Branch names from Contra Costa — Hacienda Heights:
- Branch names from Hollywood — Kern County:
- Branch names from Lakewood–Cerritos — Pasadena:
- Branch names from Placer — Santa Clara:
- Branch names from Santa Clarita Valley — Yolo:
Last modified 02/19/13, 07:47:37 EST.