For more information, click on the links below.
What is Composers Today?
The MTAC annually sponsors a multi-faceted program called Composers Today.
To foster creativity among students and teachers by encouraging composition and improvisation.
- To provide education in the skills of composing and improvising by offering professional feedback, creative ideas and written materials consisting of the Composers Today Syllabus, Improvisation Syllabus and Guide, Games and Activities for Improvisation, and 6 levels of student workbooks.
- To provide incentive for students of composition and improvisation by sponsoring statewide projects and events, each with a specific goal and deadline.
- To provide recognition for young musicians through the presentation of certificates, awards, prizes and performance opportunities for their compositions and improvisations.
- To offer opportunities and help in developing total musicianship skills in all MTAC students.
There are four annual projects in Composers Today. Each has a separate performance event.
- EVALUATIONS: A non-competitive learning experience where students receive a written response, in the form of constructive comments and ratings, from two professional evaluators.
SYMPOSIUM: Compositions from the Evaluations are selected for performance in one of several State Convention Symposium recitals based upon the two evaluators' ratings and performance by the composer on a submitted tape recording.
- STATE CONTEST: This competition offers 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners cash prizes for each of 8 divisions based on age as of March 30. There is also a Film Scoring category, offering one 1st place cash prize in each division.
STATE CONTEST RECITAL: Winners perform their pieces (or have someone perform them) at the State Convention and receive a certificate and cash prize.
- YOUNG COMPOSERS GUILD: The Guild provides a special format for the serious young composers who plan to pursue music composition as a career. Students who have had their work performed at MTAC State Convention at least once during their high school years may apply for membership in the YCG. Students may be selected to perform at convention and by invitation for various branches throughout the state.
- SENIOR MEDALLION: Senior Medallions are awarded to graduating high school seniors who have entered 3 different compositions in grades 9-12 including their senior year and performed in at least one State Convention Composers Today recital.
Deadlines for 2012 - 2013:
January 15th EVALUATIONSSummary: 7 categories, from Pre-CM (Cat 0) to Advanced (Cat 4), including two categories for teacher composers (Cat 5 and 6).
Registration opens December 1st. Registration is online only and is accessible through your teacher home page. See “Composers Today” on the left hand column. You will be prompted to submit scores with a pdf or doc file extension. For recordings: either mp3 or wav format files are accepted.
January 15th YOUNG COMPOSERS GUILDSummary: Students must be in high school grades 10, 11, or 12 or at the collegiate level to be eligible to apply. High school students must be studying with an active MTAC teacher in good standing. The college student has studied during the high school years with an active MTAC teacher in good standing who will serve as the sponsoring teacher.
Send application directly to YCG Chair.
March 30th STATE CONTESTRegistration is online only and will be accessible through your teacher home page.
April 15th SYMPOSIUMSummary: For composers of all ages, including students and teachers, that have submitted an original composition in the Evaluations and meet the minimum requirements of a rating of 4 or 5.
Symposium applications are all online with State Evaluations page.
2012-2013 Composers Today Council:
- State Chair Coordinator,
- Information and Publicity Chair,
- Adjudicator Chair, TBD
- State Evaluations Chair,
- Symposium Chair,
- State Contest Chair,
- Young Composers Guild Chair,
Last modified 01/19/13, 23:52:46 EST.