Composition and Performance Programs
The MTAC annually sponsors a multi-faceted program called Composers Today. The purpose is to foster creativity among students and teachers by encouraging composition and improvisation.
Friends of Today's Music was established in 1986. With a firm commitment to the music of our time, and indeed to the future of classical music, FTM has sponsored the creation of a wide variety of significant works, written especially for students by many of today's leading, internationally renowned composers.
YCG is for students choosing composition as a career. As part of the Composers Today Program, YCG members are selected for a five year membership during which they may perform their original works in recital for MTAC branches.
YFSG is for students choosing film scoring as a career. As part of the Composers Today Film Scoring Program, YFSG members are selected for a five year membership during which they may perform their original works for MTAC branches.
What is Adult Performance?
Adult Performance is an annual program which provides coaching, master class and performance opportunities in all disciplines.
This is a wonderful program for interested teachers and adult students who would like a goal and additional constructive comments. Each solo or ensemble participant prepares three compositions and may select from several options, including private coaching, master class participation and if desired, a recital performance. Recital participants may also be considered for participation in the Adult Performance Recital at the State Convention.
- To provide a systematic and comprehensive plan to develop performance skill, technique, ear-training and sight reading skills, and understanding of music theory.
- To provide practical goals to help students maintain a steady and focused appreciation of their musical studies
- To encourage students to strive for musical excellence
- To create opportunities in which students may share their music
The MTAC Improvisation Program can help you as a teacher through:
- Published resources to get you started in teaching Improvisation
- An annual Improvisation Celebration at the State Convention to exhibit exceptional musical improvisation from students all around the state.
- The opportunity to use improvisation as an optional element in Certificate of Merit; this is an exceptional way to balance the rigorous preparation of technique, theory and repertoire with the creative process of improvisation.
- Advice from teachers who are available to assist MTAC members as they begin their journey into the world of improvisation.
The Piano Solo and the Piano Concerto Competition are each divided into 4 divisions based on age. Each division is further divided into a North and a South section. A finalist from each section and level is chosen by preliminary evaluations usually held in April. The finalists from each section play in recital at the annual convention in July and the winner is chosen by a panel of 3 distinguished judges.
The goal of the VOCE program/competition is to present an opportunity to students featuring performances in solo and chamber ensembles. VOCE, founded in 1971, represents the following: Vocalists, Orchestral instrumentalists, Chamber music, Ensembles.
The Young Artist Guild is the highest achievement that a Certificate of Merit student can attain. The Young Artist Guild (YAG) offers semi-professional, paid performance opportunities to our most gifted young soloists through branch sponsored concerts. Each year a special YAG concert and a reception are held at the MTAC State Convention. This concert serves as a debut for the newly selected Young Artist Guild members.
Last modified 02/10/10, 23:34:47 EST.