Important Deadline Information for Certificate of Merit®
For new applicants and former members wishing to reinstate, all required membership and reinstatement applications and documents, along with correct payment, must be submitted to the MTAC State Office by July 31, in order to participate in Certificate of Merit®. Please note that MTAC cannot be responsible for lost or late submissions. Exceptions to the deadline cannot be made.
- Listing on our Find a Teacher page increases your visibility to potential students
- Preferred rates to the Annual State Convention
- Subscription to The California Music Teacher magazine
- Access to the Grove Online Dictionary
Your students have access to MTAC student programs, including Certificate of Merit®, VOCE, Piano Concerto/Solo Competition, Improvisation, and Composers Today.
- Participate in local branch events including recitals, festivals, competitions, and master classes
- Identify with others in similar careers
Membership Categories & Requirements
Active Membership is the highest level of membership.
- Bachelor’s degree in music from an accredited college, university or conservatory (or the equivalent)
- Degrees obtained outside the U.S. require an equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree in music, documented with a Foreign Credential Evaluation Report (FCER). Applicants must apply with the “Foreign Diploma Active Membership Application”
- A degree emphasis or four years of individual study at a college level in the desired Primary Instrument or Subject
- Two years teaching experience in the Primary Instrument or Subject
- Compliance with MTAC Bylaws
Membership is required to participate in Certificate of Merit®. There are no exceptions made for late renewals and applications.
Deadline for Active Membership applications is July 31. To be eligible for participation in State Programs (not including CM), new membership applications must be completed by October 15.
Provisional Members enjoy most privileges of Active Membership, including participation in Certificate of Merit®, and achieve Active Membership by earning points through documenting instruction and experience.
Deadline for Provisional Membership Applications: July 31. To be eligible for participation in State Programs (not including CM), new membership applications must be completed by October 15.
Student Membership is limited to four years. Active Membership is achieved upon completion and verification of a bachelor’s degree in music.
- Enrollment in two or more music courses per academic year
- Please provide official college transcripts of completed courses after completion of academic term
You must submit an official transcript at the completion of each academic semester or quarter to maintain your Student Membership. Students who fail to do so will not be invoiced for upcoming renewal and risk having their membership suspended.
Deadline for Student Membership Applications is July 31. To be eligible for participation in State Programs (not including CM), new membership applications must be completed by October 15.
Cal Plan Membership is a four-year independent study program for teachers without academic training who are pursuing Active Membership. Cal Plan Members enjoy most privileges of Active Membership, including eligibility for participation in Certificate of Merit®. Additional information on the program is available on the Cal Plan page.
Business Affiliate Membership is available to non-teaching persons or firms interested in the purposes of the organization.
Former members who wish to reinstate their membership must apply by submitting a Reinstatement Application and paying the Reinstatement Application Fee in addition to the State and Branch Dues. MTAC membership reinstatements are accepted throughout the year. Reinstatements are subject to State and Branch approval and must be complete and submitted to the State office by the applicable deadlines.
- To be eligible for participation in Certificate of Merit® for the following year, reinstatement applications must be complete and submitted to the State Office on or before July 31.
- To be eligible for participation in any other State Program for the following year, reinstatement applications must be complete and submitted to the State Office on or before October 15.
Optional Branch Membership
The benefits of joining a local branch include:
- Ability to participate in Branch Activities and Programs
- Networking and support within a local group of like-minded professionals
Information on locations, programs and policies are located on your Teacher Portal. We encourage you to contact your local branch to find out which best meets your needs. If you do not wish to join a branch, you will be listed “At Large,” and you will not need to pay branch dues.
All Branch transfers must be requested between May 1 – July 15 only. To initiate your Branch transfer, no form is required. Log into your MTAC teacher's portal and click here. Complete the branch transfer form. The branch transfer form will only be available during the transfer request period. If you require assistance, place contact Alicia Wilson.
Maintaining MTAC Membership
To keep your membership current, you must renew by July 31. Active Members can renew by mail or online via your Teacher Home Page, as long as your membership is active and in good standing.
Inclusion in the Online Directory
Increase public access and visibility of your music studio or business by being included in the MTAC online directory, Find a Teacher. This online directory is used by prospective students and parents of students to find music teachers.
Adding Instruments or Subjects
If you are an Active Member and you would like to add an instrument to your membership listing, submit an Additional Instrument Application (login is required). Provisional, Student and Cal Plan members may not add additional instruments or subjects; this option is available to Active Members only.
To add a subject, please submit official transcripts to the State Office verifying that you hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in your preferred subject. Note that the requirements for Additional Instruments and Additional Subjects differ; for Additional Subjects, you must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in the requested subject.